n18
NEWS|Current Affairs 
   |
Photo: Viral Bhayani

A court in Mumbai, which was hearing a case in connection with an application accusing Salman Khan of delaying the trial of the 2002 hit-and-run case, on Thursday exempted the actor of personal appearance. The next hearing of the case will now take place on January 30, 2013.

While the actor's sisters Arpita and Alvira had reached the court earlier in the day, Salman had said that he too would be reaching for the hearing but then the court exempted him from personal appearance. "The summon has been served and I'm waiting for the court to call me. We've been with the law and done what the law required us to do," he said while waiting outside the court.

Salman's Toyota Land Cruiser vehicle had rammed into a bakery in suburban Bandra killing one and injuring four persons who were sleeping on a pavement on September 28, 2002. On December 3, former bureaucrat-turned-lawyer Aabha Singh had moved an application before the court alleging the actor was delaying the trial, after which the court issued summons to Salman.

"We have received summons. I would appear in the court", said Salman's lawyer Dipesh Mehta. The actor, who was booked on the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder after the mishap, has maintained that it was merely an accident and he did not have any intention to kill anyone. The Bombay High Court had held that Section 304 part II of the Indian Penal Code (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) was not applicable in this case and the actor be tried under 304 A of IPC (rash and negligent driving) and other relevant sections.

The Metropolitan Magistrate's court in Bandra had framed charges against Salman under sections 304 A of IPC (rash and negligent driving), 279 (rash driving), 337 (causing minor injuries), 338 (causing major injuries) and 427 (negligence). However, earlier this year, police had sought that Salman be tried for more serious charge of 'culpable homicide not amounting to murder'. Their application is still pending.

The trial in the case started in 2005 and the prosecution has already examined eleven witnesses. Two witnesses, including Salman's police guard Ravindra Patil and Ramasray Pandey who had witnessed the accident, turned hostile.

Tag : #Salman Khan #Exemption #hit and run case #mumbai court

41 killed in Pakistan bus accident

from firstpost

41 killed in Pakistan bus accident

Islamabad: At least 41 people were killed and many others were injured when a passenger bus hit a truck-trailer in Pakistan's south Sukkur district.The accident took place near Pano Akil town of the S...


Eight months after murder, police fail to arrest Dabholkar's killers

from firstpost

Eight months after murder, police fail to arrest Dabholkar's killers

Pune (Maharashtra): The sensational murder of rationalist Narendra Dabholkar is yet to be solved eight months after he was was gunned down while on a morning walk here, creating a nationwide furore.Tw...

Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts

from firstpost

Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts

JINDO/MOKPO South Korea (Reuters) - South Korean prosecutors investigating a ferry disaster said on Sunday they would seek to extend the detention of the ship's captain and two other crew by 10 days a...

Syria frees abducted French journalists after 10 months

from firstpost

Syria frees abducted French journalists after 10 months

London: Four French journalists kidnapped in Syria almost a year ago have been freed, French President Francois Hollande said Saturday.Edouard Elias, Didier Franois, Nicolas Henin and Pierre Torres we...

17 people detained in UP for illegal entry into India

from firstpost

17 people detained in UP for illegal entry into India

Maharajganj, UP: Seventeen persons, including three women and 10 children, from Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) were detained for illegally crossing into India from Nepal through Sonouli border, SSB s...

Three teens gunned down in Ranchi

from firstpost

Three teens gunned down in Ranchi

Ranchi: Suspected Maoist guerrillas have shot dead three teenagers on the outskirts of Ranchi, police said Saturday.According to police, the guerrillas killed the three, aged between 15 and 17, at Mas...

Karachi: Two Pakistani UN staff members kidnapped by gunmen

from firstpost

Karachi: Two Pakistani UN staff members kidnapped by gunmen

Islamabad: Gunmen have kidnapped two men working for the U.N. Children's Fund from Pakistan's southern city of Karachi, police said Saturday.The two Pakistani men were on their way to a bus terminal t...