n18
NEWS|Current Affairs 
   |

Mumbai: It has been five years since the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, the most daring terror attack ever to have taken place on the Indian soil. The Mumbai Police held a memorial service at the Gymkhana on Tuesday morning. Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and top Maharashtra police officers were present at the event to pay homage to the martyrs. The Taj and Trident hotels, which came under attack, will also be holding private memorials on Tuesday. Earlier on Monday, the Bombay High Court asked the Maharashtra government to inform what follow up action it had taken after the state Director General of Police wrote to the Centre recommending gallantry awards to police bomb disposal squad, who risked their lives during the 26/11 terror attacks. The direction was given by a bench headed by Justice PV Hardas on a PIL filed by former scribe Ketan Tirodkar demanding 'Ashok Chakra' awards to martyrs of Mumbai terror attacks and petrol pump allotments to their kin. Government pleader Aruna Pai informed that the DGP had written a letter to the Centre recommending awards for the bomb disposal squad of the police department. Tirodkar said that no one from the Bomb Disposal Squad who was involved in defusing hand grenades, bombs and other explosives during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks was insured. Such people always work during crisis at the risk of their lives and hence they should be suitably rewarded. The Court asked the state government to inform after two weeks what follow up measures it had taken with the Union Government after the DGP recommended awards for the bomb disposal squad members. The PIL said that efforts of all policemen who had died fighting Pakistani terrorists including Mohammed Amir Kasab, during the dastardly attacks on November 26, 2008 should be recognised with Ashok Chakra, the country's highest gallantry award. It said that just as top officers like Hemant Karkare, Ashok Kamate and Vijay Salaskar and Tukaram Ombale were given Ashok Chakras, other policemen who fought Pakistani terrorists and died bravely in the line of duty, should also be considered for the award. Even the bomb disposal squad had never been considered for gallantry awards, the PIL said. The Centre had awarded petrol pumps to families of Karkare, Salaskar and Kamte. This facility should also be extended to other martyrs, it stressed. Meanwhile, a British man who was paralysed during the the 2008 attacks on the Taj Hotel is now suing the hotel. The man is claiming that the hotel authorities failed to secure the building despite warnings that an attack was imminent. (With additional information from PTI)

IAF gets sixth C-17 Globemaster with vintage package in belly

from firstpost

IAF gets sixth C-17 Globemaster with vintage package in belly

New Delhi: The Indian Air Force today received its sixth C-17 Globemaster heavy lift transport aircraft which also carried a World War II vintage 'Harvard' aircraft in its belly.Defence Minister Arun ...


CRPF creates special skill centre for injured troops

from firstpost

CRPF creates special skill centre for injured troops

New Delhi: CRPF has opened a new skill development centre for hundreds of its troopers injured while encountering Naxals and insurgents, as part of its initiative to rehabilitate its men and their fam...

Centre calls meeting with states on diesel price

from firstpost

Centre calls meeting with states on diesel price

New Delhi: With state specific levies adding up to Rs 7 a litre in price of diesel, the Centre has called a meeting with 12 states with the highest incidence of taxes like octroi and entry tax, to imp...

UPSC issue will be resolved within a week: Rajnath Singh

from firstpost

UPSC issue will be resolved within a week: Rajnath Singh

New Delhi: Amid protests by civil services aspirants against the new UPSC syllabus, the government on Monday said the issue will be resolved within a week."The UPSC issue will be resolved within ...

Disinvestmnent department seeks OFS route to divest in PSUs

from firstpost

Disinvestmnent department seeks OFS route to divest in PSUs

New Delhi: Gearing up to meet the Rs 43,000 crore disinvestment target, the finance ministry has decided to go in for Offer For Sale (OFS) route to sell its stake in the state-owned companies starting...

Ex-CJI tried his best to elevate corrupt judge, says Katju in blog post

from firstpost

Ex-CJI tried his best to elevate corrupt judge, says Katju in blog post

New Delhi: Former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju Monday again complained of interference in the appointment of judges, saying former chief justice of India KG Balakrishnan tried his best to eleva...

Saharanpur violence under control, says Home Minister Rajnath Singh

from firstpost

Saharanpur violence under control, says Home Minister Rajnath Singh

New Delhi: The Centre on Monday said the situation in violence-hit Saharanpur is fully under control and it is keeping a close eye on it."Saharanpur situation is fully under control. We are keepi...