n18
NEWS|Current Affairs 
   |
A file photo of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray. Photo: PTI

The 19-year-old boy who was questioned for allegedly posting offensive comments against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Facebook has now been let off. The boy was handed over to the police by MNS workers on Wednesday to explain the comment posted about Raj Thackeray.

The party's student wing president also filed a complaint. Police sources say that the boy's Facebook account was hacked before the alleged offensive comment was posted.

Earlier, a bandh was on Wednesday observed in Palghar town in adjoining Thane district following a call by Shiv Sena against suspension of two senior police officers in connection with the arrest of two girls over a Facebook post, criticising shutdown during Bal Thackeray's funeral.

Commercial establishments, schools and colleges at Palghar remained shut and there was no vehicular traffic in the town, party sources said. No untoward incident was reported so far, police said. The Palghar Bar Association had also called for a bandh in the courts today to protest the transfer of the local Judicial Magistrate First Class (JFMC) who had "promptly" granted bail to the two girls.

The girls, both 21, were arrested after one of them had lamented in a Facebook post the November 18 shutdown due to Thackeray's funeral and her friend had 'liked' the post. Though the girl didn't name Thackeray, the local Sena leader complained against the girls and police arrested the duo on November 19, sparking an outrage.

On November 20, police arrested the vandals who had damaged one of the girls' uncle's hospital on November 18, despite her removing the post and apologising that day itself. Maharashtra government had on Tuesday suspended the two police officers, SP (Thane rural) Ravindra Sengaonkar and senior police inspector Shrikant Pingle.

Tag : #Facebook #Maharashtra Navnirman Sena #Raj Thackeray

Pakistan widows, "second" wives flee fighting but are denied aid

from firstpost

Pakistan widows, "second" wives flee fighting but are denied aid

BANNU Pakistan (Reuters) - Thousands of women displaced by fighting in Pakistan are struggling to get food and other aid because they lack identity cards and conservative Muslim elders have forbidden ...


At least 40 dead in Israeli shelling in Gaza Strip - hospital

from firstpost

At least 40 dead in Israeli shelling in Gaza Strip - hospital

GAZA (Reuters) - Israeli shelling near the southern Gaza town of Rafah killed at least 40 people on Friday, the local hospital said, as a ceasefire that went into effect only hours earlier crumbled.Is...

Putin wants monasteries, church rebuilt inside Kremlin

from firstpost

Putin wants monasteries, church rebuilt inside Kremlin

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for two monasteries and a church that were demolished during Soviet times to be rebuilt in the Kremlin, the largest overhaul of the site'...

Imam's killing in China may be aimed at making Muslim Uighurs choose sides

from firstpost

Imam's killing in China may be aimed at making Muslim Uighurs choose sides

BEIJING (Reuters) - The murder of a state-backed imam in China's Xinjiang region underscores an escalation in 18 months of violence and could be part of a bid by extremists to persuade moderate Muslim...

Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province

from firstpost

Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Islamic State, the al Qaeda splinter group which has seized parts of Syria and Iraq, has told activists in Syria's Deir al-Zor province they must swear allegiance to it and submit t...

Nine months on, Philippines plans $3.9-billion effort to relocate typhoon Haiyan victims Haiyan victims

from firstpost

Nine months on, Philippines plans $3.9-billion effort to relocate typhoon Haiyan victims Haiyan victims

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines will spend 170 billion pesos ($3.89 billion) to rehouse some 200,000 families displaced by last year's super typhoon Haiyan that killed 6,100 people, the government ...

Iraqi foreign minister blames Maliki for Islamist insurgency

from firstpost

Iraqi foreign minister blames Maliki for Islamist insurgency

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and his security officials are to blame for the rise of Sunni Muslim insurgents who have seized parts of Iraq, the country's foreign minister said.The...