Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
New Delhi: In news that is not pleasant for the farming community, India is expected to see below normal monsoon this year with Met department forecasting 95 percent rainfall after a good spell of fou...
Jindo, South Korea: Frustrated relatives of the scores of people still missing from the sinking of the ferry Sewol staged a marathon confrontation with the fisheries minister and the coast guard chief...
Washington: A hacker who became an informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) directed hundreds of cyber attacks against the websites of foreign governments, including Brazil, Iran, Pakis...
Gurbaksh Chahal is not a familiar name when it comes to the list of top Indians in Silicon Valley.For the less initiated he's the CEO of RadiumOne, which is a company that focuses on real-time adverti...
New York: BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal are among the world's 100 most influential people, according to a list published by the Time magazi...
Chennai: Election authorities lodged a police complaint against five companies at an IT park here for functioning on the day of Lok Sabha polling in Tamil Nadu today in violation of rules and sent bac...
It may be a big election day, but for Twitteratti, Sachin Tendulkar is more important than anything else. #HappyBirthdaySachin has been the top trend on Twitter throughout the morning and it has held ...