Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia (Reuters) - Ousted leader Viktor Yanukovich insisted on Tuesday that he remained Ukraine's legitimate president and commander-in-chief, saying he would return to Kiev and appeali...
ISTANBUL/ANKARA (Reuters) - Protesters clashed with police in cities across Turkey on Tuesday after the death of a 15-year-old boy who was hit in the head by a tear-gas canister during anti-government...
SEVASTOPOL/KIEV (Reuters) - Ukraine's government appealed for Western help on Tuesday to stop Moscow annexing Crimea but the Black Sea peninsula, overrun by Russian troops, seemed fixed on a course th...
Raipur: Maoists ambushed a security patrol killing 16 people including 11 of the CRPF in a daring daytime attack in the worst-hit Sukma district of Chhattisgarh, a gory reminder of the 2010 Dantewada ...
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh has sought a 20 percent increase in deployment of Central paramilitary forces over 2009 elections for the peaceful conduct of simultaneous Lok Sabha and Assembly polls to thw...
The Crimean parliament on Tuesday said it would declare itself independent if its residents approve a referendum to split off from Ukraine an ambiguous legal maneuver that could offer a way of de-esc...
Heads of state don't often agree to go on a parody talk show on the internet. But that's just what US President Barack Obama did when he took onZachGalifianakis of Hangover fame on Between Two Ferns, ...