Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
LONDON (Reuters) - NATO is not prepared for the threat of a Russian attack on one of its members, British lawmakers said on Thursday, calling for more equipment and troops to be positioned in the Balt...
GAZA/JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, facing international alarm over a rising civilian death toll in Gaza, said on Thursday he would not accept any ceasefire that stop...
Pune: The death toll in the landslide at Malin village near here rose to 23 this morning even as rescue workers resumed operations, which were hampered during the night due to rains and poor visibilit...
New Delhi: The United States and India's new government voiced hope Thursday at working closely on the global stage, but fresh rifts over trade and spying cast a shadow.On his first visit since India'...
New Delhi: Petrol price was today cut by Rs 1.09 per litre, the second reduction in three-and-half months, while diesel rates were hiked by 56 paise a litre.The revisions will be effective midnight to...
New Delhi: A committee formed to look into the possibilities of bringing changes in pattern of civil services examination among others today submitted its report to the government.The three-member com...
I wrote a couple of articles that pertained to the unrestrained and disproportionate Israeli offensive against the Palestinians. My readers, of all faiths and denominations told me that the articles w...