Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
In a shocking incident, a first-year student of Visva-Bharati University in Shantiniketan of West Bengal, has alleged that three male students from her college had blackmailed her by allegedly forcing...
Ayodhya: A priest associated with Maniram Das Chawni temple, city's largest and richest temple complex, was on Friday found murdered on the premises, police said.45-year-old Mahant Vijay Ram Das was t...
From now on it is going to be really hard for Central government employees to skip work as Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given orders to to develop an 'attendance website' which will be a centralis...
In a shocking development a National Investigation Agency dossier acquired alleges that more than 300 Indian youth have been recruited by Pakistan-based Tehreek-e-Taliban which has joined hands with I...
New Delhi: Breaking his silence on cancellation of talks, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said India was "disappointed" as Pakistan wanted to make a "spectacle" by meeting separ...
Islamabad: In moves that could provide a breakthrough in the political crisis, Pakistan's powerful Army on Friday stepped in to try and resolve the standoff between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and pro...
Bangalore: Two days after a Kannada starlet filed a complaint of rape and cheating against Railway Minister DV Sadananda Gowda's son, police on Friday said Karthik Gowda and the woman were summoned fo...