Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
New Delhi: Gay rights activists today appealed to the Supreme Court to take into account its recent verdict on granting separate recognition to transgenders while deciding their curative petition agai...
In the days when India was under the "license permit raj", crime had colour, even technicolour. The film 'Once Upon a Time in Mumbai' was said to be based on the life of one Haji Mastan, tho...
The Supreme Court on Monday lifted the 18-month ban on mining in Goa but capped the annual extraction of iron ore at 20 million tonnes per year. The court has however, deemed all leases granted post 2...
The Ministry of Defence today denied that it had recommended the name of the Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag to the Prime Ministers Office for appointment as the next Chief of A...
Workers of Shiromani Akali Dal protested outside the Congress office in Delhi after Captain Amarinder Singh, party's candidate from Amritsar gave a clean chit to Jagdish Tytler. The latter is accused ...
Perth, Australia: From the disappearances of aviator Amelia Earhart to labour union leader Jimmy Hoffa, there's just something about a good mystery that Americans find too tantalising to resist. Perha...
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police today said they will probe if there was any sabotage behind the emergency landing of a Bangalore-bound flight carrying 166 people on board.The Malaysia Airlines Flight M...