Newly-appointed Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi gave an emotionally-charged speech Sunday at the Birla auditorium while addressing the All India Congress Committee session on the last day of the 'Chintan Shivir'.
Some of the highlights:
- The Food Bill will ensure that no mother sees her child go hungry at night. Right to Information allows every Indian to take on the battle against corruption.
- There are people in high positions with no understanding of issues - this happens because we respect position not knowledge.
- The youth is angry as it is alienated. Until we start to empower people, we can't change anything in this country.
- The corrupt talk of eradicating corruption and those who disrespect women talk of women's rights.
- India is more connected today. It is no longer possible to limit an idea whose time has come (referring to Aadhar and direct cash transfer).
Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi at Chintan Shivir. Photo: AP
- The Congress needs leadership development. Five years from now, we need to create 40-50 leaders who have the potential to run the country.
- As a boy I loved to play badminton because it gave me balance in a complicated world. I was taught by two policemen who protected my grandmother and were my friends. They killed my grandmother and took way the balance.
- In the evening I saw my father address the nation. He was terrified of what lay ahead of him. But I saw a glimmer of hope. That hope has brought India where it is today.
- Last night my mother came to my room and she sat and cried. Because she understands that the power that so many seek is poison. She can see it because she is not attached to it (power).
- The Congress party is my life. The people of India are now my life. And I will fight for the people of India and for this party.
The macro environment is turning distinctly favourable for the Indian Rupee (INR). On the domestic macro front, sharp fall in current account deficit and strong inflows into the FCNR B swap window is ...
New Delhi: The millions of food vendors peddling tasty morsels from roadside stalls and rickshaws across India have long been an emblem of the country's boisterous, chaotic spirit.But now, Indian offi...
After the embarrassing arrest of his son Nitesh Rane by the Goa Police for vandalising a toll booth after refusing to pay the toll fee, Maharashtra's Industries Minister and Konkan strongman Narayan R...
Police have registered a case against a French tourist for allegedly sexually abusing a group of children in Odisha's beach town of Puri, an official said on Thursday.Middle-aged Mathew Furic allegedl...
New Delhi: Services and manufacturing sector during November showed expansion across emerging markets barring India where it fell for the fifth month running, an HSBC survey said today.The HSBC Emergi...
Time magazine has listed "India's Rape Epidemic", about the nationwide uproar over a number of rape incidents, especially following a shocking gang rape in Delhi, as the ninth top world news...
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee today released a postal stamp and 'First Day' cover on the Indian Navy's recently commissioned aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.The President released the stamp ...