n18
NEWS|Current Affairs 
   |
Police constable Subhash Tomar'. Photo: IBNLive

The Delhi High Court on Friday admitted a plea seeking the quashing of FIR that had been filed against eight persons over police constable Subhash Tomar's death during the anti-rape protests that erupted following the brutal gangrape of a 23-year-old physiotherapist.

The writ petition claims that a CCTV footage by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) shows that two of them were at metro stations at the time of the incident.

The revelation could prove to be a major embarrassment for the Delhi Police that had pushed for charges against the eight. The High Court has now issued notices to the Centre, the Delhi government and the Delhi Police and has sought a status report from the latter.

However, police sources say that the FIR was about the whole rioting incident and not just the constable's death. "The eight are not booked for murder but in the general case. The individual role will only be defined at the time of the chargesheet," they added.

The police has also asked for a medical board to determine the nature of injuries of Tomar, the sources said.

Tomar's death had led to a barrage of claims and counter-claims from the police and the protesters with both the sides sticking to their stands on what caused the policeman to collapse during the December 23 clash at India Gate during the anti-gangrape agitation and his subsequent death in Delhi's Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Tuesday.

While two protesters - Yogendra and Pauline - who tried to help Tomar after he collapsed, claimed that the policeman had no visible injury marks on his body when they saw him, a third witness claimed that the constable was beaten up by a few protesters.

Salim, Yogendra and Pauline have already been questioned by Delhi Police Crime Branch officers who are investigating the constable's death.

Even though the post mortem report of Tomar confirmed that he was hit by a blunt object and was injured during the clashes at the anti-rape protests at India Gate on Sunday, Yogendra stuck to his stand claiming that the constable was not injured. "The truth is that he was not injured at that time. According to the medical officer too, no injuries were found that caused his death," Yogendra told CNN-IBN.

Yogendra even questioned the post mortem report and said, "If you're saying it's an allegation, then let it be. This is not the first time this has happened. Delhi Police called me on Monday at 4 pm to find out what happened. I told them. They didn't ask me anything else," Yogendra said.




Tag : #Rape #Delhi Protest #Subhash Tomar

Sensex record high lasts only minutes, as levels fall in early trade

from firstpost

Sensex record high lasts only minutes, as levels fall in early trade

The benchmark BSE Sensex slipped from a record-high level by falling over 25 points in early trade today as investors booked profits.The 30-share barometer, which had gained 1,264.87 points in the pas...


World Cup over, but some Argentines refuse to leave Brazil

from firstpost

World Cup over, but some Argentines refuse to leave Brazil

Lucas Bazan Pontoni rifled through his pockets for the 45-cent lunch fee as he stood in line at a downtown soup kitchen. When he came up short, an acquaintance sprang for the government-subsidized mea...

PM Modi wants criminal cases against politicians fast-tracked

from firstpost

PM Modi wants criminal cases against politicians fast-tracked

New Delhi: Pushing for clean politics, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today asked Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad to work out a mechanism to settle criminal and other co...

US lawmakers hopeful of better Indo-US ties under PM Modi

from firstpost

US lawmakers hopeful of better Indo-US ties under PM Modi

Washington: Eagerly awaiting to welcome Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he visits the US in September, top American lawmakers have hoped that an assertive foreign policy of the new Indian government...

US nuclear disaster plans inadequate, says report on Fukushima crisis

from firstpost

US nuclear disaster plans inadequate, says report on Fukushima crisis

Washington: US nuclear plants must better prepare for the risk of natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis and floods, said a report on lessons learned from Japan's Fukushima crisis in 2011.Curren...

Taiwan crash: TransAsia Airways apologises as relatives blast chairman

from firstpost

Taiwan crash: TransAsia Airways apologises as relatives blast chairman

Magong: Taiwan's TransAsia Airways ran an apology on the front pages of five major newspapers Friday, pledging to shoulder the "utmost responsibility" after 48 people died when one of its p...

Australian Al-Jazeera journalist jailed in Egypt to appeal conviction

from firstpost

Australian Al-Jazeera journalist jailed in Egypt to appeal conviction

Canberra, Australia: The Australian Al-Jazeera journalist imprisoned in Egypt will appeal his conviction on charges that he had aided Egypt's outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, his brother said on Friday.Jo...