n18
Menu
NEWS|Current Affairs 
   |

Kiev: The search for the missing Malaysian Airline flight MH 370 has made some headway as Malaysian officials have identified one of the passengers travelling with a stolen passport. They said, "We have identified one of the passengers travelling with stolen passport. He is a 19-year-old Iranian, Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, who was believed to be trying to illegally migrate to Germany." The officials said that their probe was focused on the stolen passports and were probing a hijack and sabotage angle. The officials are still trying to identify the second individual. The officials said they do not think that the Iranian asylum seeker belonged to any terror outfit, but they are conducting a background check. Malaysian police chief Khalid Tan Sri said the young man's mother was waiting for him in Frankfurt and had been in contact with the police. He said she contacted Malaysian authorities to inform them of her concern when her son didn't get in touch with her. Khalid said the other man traveling with the Iranian had arrived in Malaysia on the same day, and had yet to be identified. He said investigators had not ruled out any possibility, including hijacking, sabotage or a personal motive to down the plane by either the crew or passengers. He also said that the police " had no prior information or intelligence about any involvement of terrorists". The plane took off from Kuala Lumpur, on the western coast of Malaysia, early Saturday en route to Beijing. It flew overland across Malaysia and crossed the eastern coast into the Gulf of Thailand at 35,000 feet (11,000 meters). There it disappeared from radar screens. The airline says the pilots didn't send any distress signals, suggesting a sudden and possibly catastrophic incident. In a statement, Malaysia Airlines said search and rescue teams "have expanded the scope beyond the flight path to the West Peninsula of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca." An earlier statement had said the western coast of Malaysia was "now the focus," but the airline subsequently said that phrase was an oversight. "The search is on both sides," Civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said, adding that the previous statement didn't mean that the plane was more like to be off the western coast. The new statement said authorities are looking at a possibility that MH370 attempted to turn back toward Kuala Lumpur. If it did indeed retrace its path, the plane could conceivably have crashed into the sea on the western coast, the other side of Malaysia from where it was reported missing. But this doesn't explain why it did not continue to show on radar while flying back toward Kuala Lumpur, and Malaysia Airlines or other authorities have not addressed that question. "All angles are being looked at. We are not ruling out any possibilities," is all that the Malaysia Airlines statement said. Malaysia's air force chief also said Sunday there were indications on military radar that the jet may have done a U-turn. Over the last three days the search mission has grown to include nine aircraft and 24 ships from nine countries, which have been scouring the Gulf of Thailand on the eastern side of Malaysia. Apart from the sea, land areas are also being searched. China, where two-thirds of the passengers were from, has urged Malaysian authorities to "speed up the efforts" while also contributing ships and helicopters to the search. A shopping mall in Beijing suspended advertising on its large outdoor LED screen to display a search timer - an image of an airplane along with a digital clock marking the time since contact with the flight was lost. Authorities questioned travel agents Monday at a beach resort in Thailand who police say were involved in handling reservations and issuing tickets used by the Iranian asylum seeker and his companion. Both men had both booked onward flights to Europe, and were traveling on stolen passports of an Italian and an Austrian. The identity of the other man is not known yet. Assuming the plane crashed into the ocean or disintegrated in midair, there will likely still be debris floating on the ocean, but it may be widely spaced out and the bulk of it may have already sunk. The United States has sent two navy ships, at least one of which is equipped with helicopters, and a Navy P-3C Orion plane that onboard sensors allow the crew to clearly detect small debris in the water. It said in a statement that the Malaysian government had done "tremendous job" organizing the land and sea effort. The hunt began on Saturday morning at the point the plane was last known to be. But with no debris found, the search has been systematically expanded to include areas where the plane could have in theory ended up given the amount of fuel it had on board. That is an area many thousands of square kilometers (miles) wide. Vietnamese planes and ships are a major component of the international search and rescue effort. Lt. Gen. Vo Van Tuan, deputy chief of staff of Vietnamese People's Army, said authorities on land had also been ordered to search for the plane, which could have crashed into mountains or uninhabited jungle. He said that military units near the border with Laos and Cambodia had been instructed to search their regions also. "So far we have found no signs (of the plane) ... so we must widen our search on land," he said. (With additional information from AP)

Downloads | Featured Wallpaper


Baaghi

Cabinet to deliberate model law allowing shops to open 365 days

from firstpost

Cabinet to deliberate model law allowing shops to open 365 days

New Delhi: Union cabinet will consider on Wednesday a model law that seeks to allow shops, malls and other establishments to operate throughout the year with flexibility to open and shut at their conv...


Delhi shocker: Minor girl gangraped in private school premises, accused arrested

from firstpost

Delhi shocker: Minor girl gangraped in private school premises, accused arrested

New Delhi: A 17-year-old girl was allegedly gangraped by a friend and a security guard inside the premises of a private school in east Delhi's Jagatpuri area, police said on Tuesday.The accused were a...

Delhi University to redraft guidelines for ad-hoc appointments

from firstpost

Delhi University to redraft guidelines for ad-hoc appointments

New Delhi: Following protests from teachers against new rules announced by Delhi University for ad-hoc appointments, the varsity has now decided to redraft the guidelines.The varsity had sent a commun...

Jeremy Corbyn loses no-confidence vote over Brexit, refuses to resign

from firstpost

Jeremy Corbyn loses no-confidence vote over Brexit, refuses to resign

London:Labour's Jeremy Corbyn lost a non-binding confidence motion, with 172 Labour MPs voting against him and only 40 in favour out of a total of 229 Labour lawmakers in the House of Commons lower ho...

Centre to invest Rs 1,000 cr for 750-bedded Aiims in Assam

from firstpost

Centre to invest Rs 1,000 cr for 750-bedded Aiims in Assam

Guwahati: The Centre will invest around Rs 1,000 crore to set up a 750-bedded All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Assam, the land for which was handed over by the state government on Tuesday.&a...

Kolkata flyover collapse: Two KMDA officials arrested in connection with tragedy

from firstpost

Kolkata flyover collapse: Two KMDA officials arrested in connection with tragedy

Kolkata: Two KMDA officials were on Tuesday arrested by Kolkata police in connection with the partial collapse of an under-construction flyover which left 26 persons dead and at least 89 injured.With ...

'None of you have ever done a proper job in your lives': Nigel Farage to European Parliament

from firstpost

'None of you have ever done a proper job in your lives': Nigel Farage to European Parliament

Brussels: Nigel Farage of Britain on Tuesday was booed in the European Parliament after he insulted fellow members in an extraordinary exchange in the wake of the Brexit vote.Any hopes of the UK Indep...