What would you do if you were a large Indian political party, and it was your Foundation Day? Celebrate, possibly. Give (and listen to) speeches, definitely. Eat sweets, goes without saying. Dance with barely-clad women and shower them with money, NO!
But that’s just what a few workers from the Trinamool Congress did at a Foundation Day event for their party yesterday. Luckily, the police came and explained to them that their definition of partying wasn’t likely to glorify their party but, before that, footage had been captured, and is now all over the news channels and youtube.
At a time when India has been shocked by the lack of safety in our country for women, we didn’t need this. Of course, given that PR people usually have an interesting (and false) spin to put on every event, we think they might come up with ‘innocent’ reasons to explain away this national shame. Here are a few examples:
1. It is a communist plot; the Reds convinced the Trinamool MPs to appear in a Public Service video showing how responsible men should not behave, and are now distributing the video claiming that it's real.
2. When the old man threw money on the dancers, he was actually campaigning against dowry, by showing how we should always give our women money instead of giving it to the family they're marrying into.
3. While the whole country is united in their silent tribute to Nirbhaya, those party workers felt that the rapists were being left out, and put together a tribute to them in the form of a vile, misogynistic act.
4. Since the word 'Trinamool' is misspelled in the background poster, the partymen were clearly enacting a skit showing how sleazy people in other parties can be, as compared to the pure hearts and minds in the Trinamool Congress.
5. The people in that video were very sad over the way dance bars have been shut all over the country. They wanted to kickstart an awakening among the right-thinking public of India, to once again bring back those glorious establishments.
6. They were being nice to journalists across India, and hoping that someone would come up with a creative headline like (S)Tri(P)namool Congress. That might not have happened yet, but you've got to credit them for trying!
7. Inspired by Gangnam Style crossing 1 billion views on youtube, they wanted a viral video that would hit at least 1 million. They seem to be well on their way....but wouldn't it have been better if they mimed riding a horse than behave without any dignity, in their quest for viral fame?
8. They watched item numbers in any major Bollywood blockbuster from 2012 (e.g. Fevicol Se) and figured that any dance they could do with any number of skimpily clad dancers would be less raunchy than the item number, so they would be safe. Sadly, that didn’t happen.
India is a tiger at home, and a bacterium abroad. After our embarrassing performances in South Africa and New Zealand, questions are being asked about whether our team is truly ready to play a cricket match anywhere outside the sub-continent. We think there is light at the end of the tunnel - we think that these 6 ideas will help India rise from the ashes and become a tiger everywhere.
We're so worried about his recent string of crazy activities that we think he might go too far soon. He might do one of these things, for instance:
After Arnab Goswami took Rahul Gandhi’s case in an interview (there’s really no other way of putting it) on Monday, we think that Koffee with Karan is way too boring. If we wanted to know random celeb gossip, we’d just read their tweets. But the way Arnab grills people, you have to admire him
A few days after Jai Ho's release, it is apparent that Salman's latest film will not touch the heights achieved by Chennai Express, Krrish 3, or Dhoom 3. It might not even touch Dabangg-2 or Bodyguard, and this is in 2014, when every other film hits 100 crores domestically. So why did Jai Ho fail to break all the box office records we thought it would? We aren't sure, but here are a few reasons.
Air India finally did something to make us sit up and take notice. They announced that they would provide wi-fi facilities to people on board their aircraft. This is great, but we don't think they've thought through some of the funnier consequences of their decision.
There are three constants in life in India: the petrol prices will keep rising, Arnab and Manmohan will always be opposites, and Salman Khan movies will always stick to a formula. Whether he's a cop, a bodyguard, or an Aam Aadmi, he's basically Rajinikanth in a different body.
Yesterday, Aamir Khan tweeted a picture that went viral – it had him along with Salman Khan seemingly taking a leak into some plants. We’re surprised the normally intellectual Aamir did something like this, and sure that Sallu Bhai is sitting embarrassed somewhere. Here are the next few celebs we think Aamir will embarrass on Twitter, and how: