63 years after it was first celebrated, Republic Day has lost a lot of its meaning. And this is because of all of us, for forgetting what it’s about, and our beloved leaders, for not reminding us, but taking the opportunity to seem falsely patriotic. Here are some funny responses you might hear from different Indians on January 26. After you laugh, take a minute to reflect on how sad it is that such an important milestone has been trivialized, and resolve to make a difference.
1. Typical Indian 1: Why is Republic Day on Saturday this year? And next year it’ll be on Sunday!*#%%&^@#!!$$!
2. Policeman: Republic Day is a day on which I get a lot of overtime pay, because terrorists are looking to attack
3. Typical Indian 2: Granddad will watch that Republic Day parade all day, and I can't watch Roadies auditions :(
4. Terrorist: It’s just another day to try to kill innocent people, only my commanders say it’s special. That’s weird, even the people I’m trying to kill don’t think it’s special
5. Typical Indian 3: I think Republic Day is something like Independence Day, but kind of different…you know, in a different way
6. Typical Indian 4: I know everything about it. This year, of course, is the 66th Republic Day. Simple math: 2013 - 1947 = 66. Right?
7. Typical Indian 5: It means I have to buy a small flag for 5 bucks from someone at a traffic signal
8. Negative IQ people: It is the day on which I’ll watch 'Race 2' for the second time
9. Rahul Gandhi: I’ll ask my mom what it means, one second
10. MMS: I’ll ask Rahul Gandhi’s mom what it means, Theek Hai?
11. Arnab Goswami's guest: Republic Day is....<Arnab interrupts>
In midst of all this misinformation, there is only one Man who knows:
12. Rajinikanth: Republic Day is the day on which the Constitution of India came into force. The first Republic Day was celebrated on Jan 26, 1950. It is one of the three national holidays of India. This year I made Google create a doodle for us...
How scams are connected to Republic Day
We think it might actually be a really good idea, because of the following benefits...
We thank the gods that the Met Department predicts only the weather
For a movie with a pretty funny trailer, Fukrey was like a ride at a water park. The delki-di-dastaan movie did have its bits, so were rolling out the red carpet for these much deserved awards!
Facebook just became Twitter. Sort of. Today, it adopted Twitter's distinctive hashtag feature.
Here's a light-hearted look at some of the features that IRCTC-mobile might have. We only hope that they don't all come true
Here's a set of all new Jadeja 'facts' that you've never heard or seen before
Apple has just unveiled its spanking new Operating System, in a bid to take attention away from Android and its other competitors.