Every tech analyst in the world is talking about one thing: the smartphone wars in 2013. Specifically, the iPhone 6 vs. the Galaxy S4, and about whether or not Apple can pull one last rabbit out of its post-Steve Jobs hat. Everyone seems to have forgotten the poor Blackberry 10, but RIM seems determined to fight to the finish, with its last chance at relevance in a world 10 years ahead of it.
So what will the BB10 have to do to beat its bigger, better contenders? Improving its current services marginally will just not do, because it will only end up beating the iPhone 1 if it does. No, we will need grand, crazy disruption. Here are a few ideas:
1. A Think Screen: Making touch screens better and better is not something that will bring people flocking to the BB. For real user acquisition, they will need to create a magical screen that does whatever you think you want it to. This might be awkward if you’re thinking ‘Why the hell did I buy this BB??’, but should be great otherwise.
2. Use mathematics: The ad campaign for the BB10 should focus entirely on the fact that 10 = 6 + 4, so the BB10 is as good as the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 combined. It would be better to focus on this rather than the actual features, because there’s not much chance of a victory there.
3. Messenger of God: Beg whatsapp to create an app for the BB10, or somehow get 1 billion people on BBM. The former would seem to be easier.
4. We can see you: Google Maps is the undisputed king of the online map market. Apple’s foray didn’t go well, but at least they tried. So the pressure is on BB to do better than both of these. Luckily, we have an idea for them. All they have to do is take the maps that the CID team uses, and all users will instantly be able to find every place they want.
5. Signal booster: If the ideas above are not possible, BB10 can try to install an internal signal booster that ensures you don’t lose connection even on highways. If it can do that, the 10 = 6 + 4 campaign might not be needed.
6. Younger sibling app: Siri, the intelligent personal assistant for the iPhone, has got rave reviews for being helpful. The only possible way BB10 can top that personal assistant is by creating an app which functions as a younger sibling, that fetches, carries, reminds and lends so that your life is more comfortable.
7. Kitna Deti Hai: All these features above will be useless if the all important price point is neglected. Beating the iPhone 6 price shouldn’t be too hard. To compete with the Android price point, the BB10 will have to price itself at Rs. 10,000, and call itself the first superphone.
Can you think of any more crazy features for the BB10? Tell us in the Comments Section!
India is a tiger at home, and a bacterium abroad. After our embarrassing performances in South Africa and New Zealand, questions are being asked about whether our team is truly ready to play a cricket match anywhere outside the sub-continent. We think there is light at the end of the tunnel - we think that these 6 ideas will help India rise from the ashes and become a tiger everywhere.
We're so worried about his recent string of crazy activities that we think he might go too far soon. He might do one of these things, for instance:
After Arnab Goswami took Rahul Gandhi’s case in an interview (there’s really no other way of putting it) on Monday, we think that Koffee with Karan is way too boring. If we wanted to know random celeb gossip, we’d just read their tweets. But the way Arnab grills people, you have to admire him
A few days after Jai Ho's release, it is apparent that Salman's latest film will not touch the heights achieved by Chennai Express, Krrish 3, or Dhoom 3. It might not even touch Dabangg-2 or Bodyguard, and this is in 2014, when every other film hits 100 crores domestically. So why did Jai Ho fail to break all the box office records we thought it would? We aren't sure, but here are a few reasons.
Air India finally did something to make us sit up and take notice. They announced that they would provide wi-fi facilities to people on board their aircraft. This is great, but we don't think they've thought through some of the funnier consequences of their decision.
There are three constants in life in India: the petrol prices will keep rising, Arnab and Manmohan will always be opposites, and Salman Khan movies will always stick to a formula. Whether he's a cop, a bodyguard, or an Aam Aadmi, he's basically Rajinikanth in a different body.
Yesterday, Aamir Khan tweeted a picture that went viral – it had him along with Salman Khan seemingly taking a leak into some plants. We’re surprised the normally intellectual Aamir did something like this, and sure that Sallu Bhai is sitting embarrassed somewhere. Here are the next few celebs we think Aamir will embarrass on Twitter, and how: