Every tech analyst in the world is talking about one thing: the smartphone wars in 2013. Specifically, the iPhone 6 vs. the Galaxy S4, and about whether or not Apple can pull one last rabbit out of its post-Steve Jobs hat. Everyone seems to have forgotten the poor Blackberry 10, but RIM seems determined to fight to the finish, with its last chance at relevance in a world 10 years ahead of it.
So what will the BB10 have to do to beat its bigger, better contenders? Improving its current services marginally will just not do, because it will only end up beating the iPhone 1 if it does. No, we will need grand, crazy disruption. Here are a few ideas:
1. A Think Screen: Making touch screens better and better is not something that will bring people flocking to the BB. For real user acquisition, they will need to create a magical screen that does whatever you think you want it to. This might be awkward if you’re thinking ‘Why the hell did I buy this BB??’, but should be great otherwise.
2. Use mathematics: The ad campaign for the BB10 should focus entirely on the fact that 10 = 6 + 4, so the BB10 is as good as the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S4 combined. It would be better to focus on this rather than the actual features, because there’s not much chance of a victory there.
3. Messenger of God: Beg whatsapp to create an app for the BB10, or somehow get 1 billion people on BBM. The former would seem to be easier.
4. We can see you: Google Maps is the undisputed king of the online map market. Apple’s foray didn’t go well, but at least they tried. So the pressure is on BB to do better than both of these. Luckily, we have an idea for them. All they have to do is take the maps that the CID team uses, and all users will instantly be able to find every place they want.
5. Signal booster: If the ideas above are not possible, BB10 can try to install an internal signal booster that ensures you don’t lose connection even on highways. If it can do that, the 10 = 6 + 4 campaign might not be needed.
6. Younger sibling app: Siri, the intelligent personal assistant for the iPhone, has got rave reviews for being helpful. The only possible way BB10 can top that personal assistant is by creating an app which functions as a younger sibling, that fetches, carries, reminds and lends so that your life is more comfortable.
7. Kitna Deti Hai: All these features above will be useless if the all important price point is neglected. Beating the iPhone 6 price shouldn’t be too hard. To compete with the Android price point, the BB10 will have to price itself at Rs. 10,000, and call itself the first superphone.
Can you think of any more crazy features for the BB10? Tell us in the Comments Section!
We think match fixing is actually good for the game of cricket. Here are a few reasons why
Is iGate CEO Phaneesh Murthy guilty? We examine the evidence
Here are some suggestions for the judiciary to curb match fixing in cricket
For a movie thats starts off with an ode from Horace, Aurangzeb pretty much lives up to its own high expectations. Here are the awards to the funniest moments from the film...
Here is conclusive proof that the man is, in fact, completely innocent.
Here a list of crazy India-related things you will definitely NOT expect to see at the worlds premier film festival.
Here's an unbiased look at the arguments in favour of, and against, the IPL being fixed