He turned 82 while she is now 73. December 8th: Dharmendra and Sharmila Tagore were both born on the same day. However, the two legendary stars of the Indian film industry shared more than their date of birth on the silver screen. We take a look.
Anupama (1966): The legendary Hrishikesh Mukherjee is respinsible for signing up the two for this film. Sharmila played Uma, a repressed girl who hardly spoke while Dharmendra played a poet and a writer who tried to bring the shy withdrawn Uma out of her shell. The two were so compatible together that Hrishida went on record to state that this was his favourite pairing.
2. Devar (1966): After Hrishikesh Mukherjee it was Mohan Segal who the same year directed a powerful drama titled Devar. Dharmendra played Shramila’s bother-in-law silently in love with Shramila watching her suffer in a bad marriage. A film that was way head of its times.
3. Satyakam (1969): Another family drama by Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Satyakam is by far Dharmendra’s most accomplished performance. Sharmila was perfect as his supportive wife.
4. Yakeen (1969): Dharmendra and Sharmila were seen together again that year in an espionage thriller directed by Brij Sadanah. Dharamendra was in a double role in this one while Tagore appeared in a very glamorous role. Her role in Aradhana the same year was a stark contrast.
5. Mere Humdam Mere Dost (1968): Laxmikant-Pyarelal’s songs went a long way into making this film a blockbuster. Dharmendra sang Rafi Saab’s ‘Hui Sham Unka Khayaal Aa Gaya’ and ‘Chalkaye Jam Aapke Hothon Ke Naam’.
6. Chupke Chupke (1975): This is perhaps one of the funniest films from Hrishi da's library of films. In the 1970s Shramila had found another working partner in Rajesh Khanna but for Chupke Chupke she reunited with Dharmendra one more time for a film which has acquired cult status over the years.
7. Ek Mahal Ho Sapnon Ka (1975): But even the best of pairs on the silverscreen, sometimes, have an off day at the box office. A love triangle featuring Dharmendra, Sharmila and Leena Chandravarkar, Ek Mahal... is the most forgettable film by the two stars together.
8. Sunny (1984): This film was produced by Dharmendra brought the two stars back on the silver screen once again. Sharmila played the mistress in this one. One can call Dharmendra's role an extended cameo where the true stars of the film were Sharmila and Waheeda Rehman.
9. Chaitali: Technically Dharmendra and Sharmila acted in one more film together. Directed by the great Bimal Roy who passed away during the shoot. Hrishikesh Mukherjee then took over but the film was finally made with Saira Banu.10. Devdas: Gulzar wanted to direct his own version of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas with Dharmendra, Sharmila and Hema Malini as the main cast. The project, however, went no further than the mahurat.