The king of romance, Shah Rukh Khan turns a year older today. The actor’s following goes way beyond India. He is loved across the globe. His charm and charisma is irresistible. Just the mention of his name can do wonders for films. His name is a huge brand. In fact, you would be surprised to know that how just his mention has worked wonders for these Bollywood films:-
1. The age-old longing to see all three Khans together was somewhat made true in Andaz Apna Apna (1994) directed by Rajkumar Santoshi. The comedy film features a dream sequence between Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla (as herself). In one particular scene, Juhi is seen humming the track ‘Tu Hai Meri Kiran’ from one her another movie ‘Darr’. Reacting to this, Aamir imitates in SRK’s stammering style (from ‘Darr’), to which follows the funniest dialogue of Juhi Chawla saying, “Mujhe laga Shah Rukh Khan aa gaya”.
2. The chocolate boy of Bollywood, Ranbir Kapoor relived portions of ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ in his second movie, ‘Bachna Ae Haseeno’. Ranbir is seen romancing three different girls in the film, the first of them being Minissha Lamba who he meets in his early 90’s, just after the mania of Raj (the protagonist played by Shah Rukh Khan from ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’) had started. From Ranbir playing the instrumental tune from movie ‘DDLJ’ on a guitar to the character of Mahi (Minissha Lamba) believing that she will someday meet her Raj, there were many instances in this specific portion of the film that was of course from SRK’s film ‘DDLJ’.
3. It is hence proved that the king of romance, Shah Rukh Khan ‘ka naam hi kafi hai’ when a crime film like Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Gangs Of Wassypur’ uses his name in a romantic scene between Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Huma Quresh. As both of them have been shown (in the first part) as regular movie buffs, there was a funny scene in this film where the character of Faizal asks Mohsina to go out for a movie with him. This particular scene starts with the dialogue when Faizal recommends the first movie saying, “‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’”, to which she replies, “Chaar baar dekhi hai”. Further, in that list he adds the name of ‘Karan Arjun’ saying, “Chal na ‘Karan Arjun’ dekh ke aate hai, Shah Rukh-Salman dono hain.” This was a hilarious scene which was well-received for the superb act by Nawazuddin and Huma, with of course not forgetting the mention of SRK and Salman which had literally added more to the humour.
4. Shah Rukh Khan’s cult romantic film DDLJ was given a modern remake with ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’. There were a lot of scenes and moments shared between the lead pair of Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt which provided the comic relief and made fans go reminiscence ‘DDLJ’. Varun’s character, Humpty is shown to be an ardent fan of this SRK and Kajol-starrer. Also, in the climax scene, Alia’s character Kavya is seen imitating King Khan’s signature move as she spreads her arms for Humpty.
5. “Ke kar raha tha bahan faela ke, yo jagah se Shah Rukh Khan bannan ki.” Yes! From the rom-com ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’ when Kangana Ranaut as Kusum who is about to take that long jump when Manu (R Madhavan) comes in front of Kusum stepping forward slowly (in his own world) and slightly spreading out his arms as with a feeling that she is going to hug him. As Kusum loses her balance and falls over Manu there comes the dialogue!
6. Even Sallu bhai after a bitter-sweet bond with Shah Rukh Khan couldn’t help but admit to have fallen for SRK’s charm. Sultan aka Salman Khan is a fan of Shah Rukh Khan where he is even seen praising the actor. Salman is seen saying this dialogue, “Shah Rukh ka mazak mat udao. Manne bahut pasand hain. Jab woh ladki ke aankh mei aankh dalke dekhe hai na, to andhi ladki bhi pat jawe hain.”
7. How would Aamir Khan be left behind then? Bollywood’s all-time blockbusters, this Aamir Khan-starrer Dangal also had a mention of Shah Rukh Khan and ‘DDLJ’. There’s a scene in the second half after Geeta Phogat (played by actress Fatima Sana Shaikh) joins an institute for further training. As she makes friends here, she joins them to see ‘DDLJ’ when it airs on television. Geeta’s classmates also have a dialogue saying, “Shah Rukh ko nah nahi bolte, paap lagta hai.”
8. “Arey yeh tedha munh karke kyun smile kar rehe ho? Shah Rukh Khan ho kya?” that is what the photographer says to Varun in ‘Badrinath Ki dulhania’.