It was in the month of January 2018, when American actor Aziz Ansari got hit by the #MeToo wave. The Master of None actor was accused by a 23-year-old woman of allegedly taking advantage of her after they went on a date in September 2017 post Emmy Awards. The survivor in question, claimed her encounter with Aziz, was no less than a nightmare. After a year, the comedian has opened up about the consequences he faced and how the incident changed his life.
The revelation took place on Monday night when Ansari performed in New York City for his ‘pop-up comedy set.’ The gig was a part of Ansari’s current ‘new material’ tour and makings surprise appearances at comedy clubs across various countries. According to a Vulture reporter who was a part of the event, Ansari maintained his silence on the accusation because, “It’s a terrifying thing to talk about,” and was very cautious before he finally opened up. Recalling the night of the incident, Ansari said, “There were times I felt really upset and humiliated and embarrassed, and ultimately I just felt terrible this person felt this way.”
View this post on Instagram
“You need to post a regular photo on your Instagram. It’s too much promo.” “I’m just on here to let people know about shows so they can see me do what I’m passionate about creatively.” “Social media is important. PLEASE. Just post something fun. You in New York. Doing whatever.” “Can I post this really dumb conversation?” “Don’t do that.”
He further added, “How I feel about it is, I hope it was a step forward. It made me think about a lot, and I hope I have become a better person. If that has made not just me but other guys think about this, and just be more thoughtful and aware and willing to go that extra mile, and make sure someone else is comfortable in that moment, that's a good thing. And I think it also just gave me perspective on my life. There was a moment where I was scared that I’d never be able to do this (comedy) again.”
The moment Ansari was slapped with sexual harassment charges, the actor admitted that he and the concerned woman got engaged in sexual activity, however, it was ‘by all indications’ and ‘completely consensual.’ In his justification, Ansari issued a statement that read, “In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards, we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual. The next day, I got a text from her saying that although ‘it may have seemed okay,’ upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said. I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.”
Ever since the incident, the actor disappeared from the public eye. It was in the month of September 2018, when he resumed his touring.Read More