Do the names David Benioff and DB Weiss ring a bell? Probably. Well, the duo are the showrunners for HBO’s most celebrated show Game of Thrones. Now Benioff and Weiss are all set to write and produce a series of new ‘Star Wars’ movies, the Walt Disney Company said on Tuesday. This comes a day after unveiling the long-awaited teaser for its next film, Solo: A Star Wars Story.
“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”
The new saga will be different from the trilogy of director Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi and will also stand out from the Luke Skywalker storyline for which the production is on, under the direction of JJ Abrams.
Disney had previously committed to making three standalone ‘Star Wars’ films outside of the Skywalker saga. They include 2016’s ‘Rogue One,’ and May 2018 release ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story,’ which follows the origins of the roguish smuggler Han Solo, made famous by Harrison Ford in the original 1977 movie.
In a joint statement by Benioff and Weiss, they said, “In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since. We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”
Talking about the last Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi was expected to roar the box office as fans eagerly awaited their journey to space on the silver screen. But the movie definitely fell short of expectations and although it did fairly at the box office, it definitely missed the mark in comparison to its predecessors. On the other hand, David Benioff and DB Weiss managed to turn the fairytale land of ice and snow of George R Martin into the biggest show in HBO history with the seventh season viewed by 30 million viewers just in the United States. Well, the two joining hands with Disney will definitely be worth looking forward to and fans can now surely hope for a mysterious and action-packed Star War film.
During a Disney earnings call on Tuesday, Disney CEO Bob Iger said, “Talks with Benioff and Wise, had been ongoing for a long time. They have an idea for the number of films and at some later date I'm sure we'll disclose to all of you just what those are," Iger said. "They are focused on a point in time in the Star Wars mythology and taking it from there."