Year end: 17 personalities we lost in 2017
As the year comes to an end we say our goodbyes to some of the biggest names in the world of entertainment. While we mourn their loss, we also thank them for the wonderful work that they have left behind for fans to cherish and students to learn from.
1. Shashi Kapoor: The legendary Bollywood actor who showed the softer side to a man in an Angry young man’s world, passed away at the age of 79 due to kidney ailments. The actor who worked in close to 175 films will best be remembered for films like Deewar, In Custody, Junoon and Vijeta. We will also remember him for his unparalleled contribution to the world of theatre.
2. Vinod Khanna: The man who started his career as a villain soon became one of the most cherished leading men of Indian cinema. Vinod Khanna died at the age of 70 due to advanced bladder carcinoma. The actor, politician and former union minister was best known for his movies like Mere Apne, Amar Akbar Anthony, Chandini and Hera Pheri among others.
3. Om Puri: The veteran actor best known for his roles in non-commercial films passed away at the age of 67 due to heart attack. The actor was shooting till what would be his last day. Best known for his pivotal roles in Ardhya Satya, Jane Bhi Do Yaaro, City of Joy and others, his death came as a shock to the industry.
4. Reema Lagoo: The motherly figure of Indian television and film died at the age of 59 due to cardiac arrest. She was best known for her roles in Hum Apke Hain Kaun, Maine Pyar Kiya, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and others.
5. Kundan Shah: The famed director of classics like Jane Bhi Do Yaaron and Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, died of heart attack at the age of 69. Considered one of the most iconic directors of Bollywood he had also directed TV series like Ye Jo Hai Zindagi, Nukkad and Wagle Ki Duniya celebrating satirical comedy.
6. Tom Alter: The veteran of American descent known for his roles in “Shatranj Ke Khilari”, “Junoon” and “Kranti”, passed away aged 67. The theatre, television and film actor succumbed to stage four skin cancer. On stage he will be remembered for his portrayal of Mirza Ghalib.
7. Chester Bennington: The Linkin Park lead took his own life by hanging himself in the month of July at the age of 47. Best known for his screeching vocals, his band sky-rocketed to become one of the most successful rock bands in recent times.
8. Hugh Heffner: The man who made a living out of pornography and pulp. The creator of the iconic Playboy magazine passed away at the age of 91. He was best known for chronicling the nude magazine for men and establishing a publishing empire.
9. Girija Devi: The Queen of Thumri passed away at the age of 88 due to cardiac arrest. The eminent singer of Benaras gharana was awarded the Padma Shri in 1972, Padma Bhushan in 1989 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
10. Lekh Tandon: The veteran director credited for films like Amrapali, Professor, Prince and others passed away at the age of 88. He won the Filmfare Best Screenplay Award for Dulhan Wahi Jo Piya Man Bhaye.
11. Roger Moore: Arguably the most famous Bond yet, the legendary actor passed away at the age of 89 after losing a short battle to cancer. He was the third actor to play Bond and starred in seven spin-offs including The Man With The Golden Gun.
12. Sitaram Panchal: The talented non-commercial actor passed away at the age of 54 due to lung cancer. He was credited for his roles in films like Jolly LLB 2, Paan Singh Tomar, Peepli Live.
13. Chris Cornell: The Soundgarden frontman was found dead in his hotel room by hanging and was cremated in Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
14. Dwijen Bandyopadhyay: The celebrated Bengali theater, film and television personality passed away at the age of 68 due to cardiac arrest. He was best known for his performances in 'Chander Bari', 'Jekhane Bhooter Bhoy', 'Phoring', 'Autograph', 'Prem By Chance'.
15. Pratyusha Banerjee: The Balika Vadhu actress was found hanging from the ceiling in her residence early this year. The 24-year-old’s other television appearances included Bigg Boss 7, Jhalak Dikhla Jha and Hum Hain Naa. DIED IN 2016 pls remove
16. Inder Kumar: The 45-year-old best known for his roles in 'Wanted' with Salman Khan, 'Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge' and 'Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' passed away due to heart attack.
17. Kalabhavan Abi: The noted Malayalam actor passed away at the age of 52 due to dengue. He was best known for his roles in English Manorama, Mimics Action 500, Aniyathipraavu, Mazhavil Koodaram and Kireedamillatha Rajakkanmar.Read More