The recent fire at the Trade House Complex, located in the Kamala Mills Compound in Mumbai claimed 14 lives and injured several others. The fire broke out shortly after midnight on the night of December 28, 2017 and about 150 people were reportedly inside the restaurant when the fire started. Officials from the BMC disaster management unit said that the injured were taken to city based hospitals.
Preliminary investigations on irregularities have set the blame game rolling as to where the fire began and who is responsible. Firstpost exclusively reveals details of the night of the carnage.
Here are 10 things that have emerged following investigations conducted by the Mumbai fire brigade on the incident.
1. The fire started from a hookah at Mojo’s Bistro and thereafter spread to 1Above
Saddened to hear about Kamala mills fire accident at Lower Parel.— dhananjay mahadik (@dbmahadik) December 29, 2017
Heartfelt condolences to bereaved families.
May the departed souls #RIP 🙏#KamalaMills #Mumbai#Kolhapur @NCPspeaks @INCIndia @PawarSpeaks @supriya_sule @office0ffRG pic.twitter.com/IPnJutM2p6
2. The report has the accounts of 14 eye witnesses
4. Both restaurants were running illegal hookah bars.
5. People who took refuge in the toilet, died due to asphyxiation.
Police has registered an FIR under the charges of culpable homicide against the restaurant ‘1 Above’ where the fire broke out | #KamalaMills Fire #LiveUpdates https://t.co/83QqnS5nrH pic.twitter.com/mbovXFYbHg— Firstpost (@firstpost) December 29, 2017
6. Guests at Mojo’s could escape as it wasn’t as packed and was open on the top. Guests at 1Above weren’t as fortunate.
7. Fire spread rapidly thanks to the inflammable tarpaulin and bamboo canopies
8. BMC commissioner Ajoy Mehta said prominent individuals pressurized him not to act against at least 20 hotels and pubs that are running illegally.
9. 1Above released a statement on December 30, saying that the fire emanated from Mojo’s Bistro
Kamala Mills fire disaster, my prayers go out for the families who lost their loved ones in this incident the day before yesterday. pic.twitter.com/8Fgk7yCOcz— Sahil Khan ♚ ✗o (@SahilKhan187) December 30, 2017
10. 1Above’s statement claims that guests from Mojo’s Bistro had to go through their premises to reach the emergency exit
After the #Mumbai #kamalamillsfire five junior level officials suspended and G south ward officer has been transfered. This raises question about the safety of rooftop restaurants which is BMC's pet project. #KamalaMills#lowerparel #fire pic.twitter.com/kxmfl5UgOu— Steffy Thevar (@Thevarsteffy) December 29, 2017