English Premier League is arguably the most celebrated league in the football world. With top teams from Europe competing to be the best in England, EPL is a fan favorite league. This year, the league celebrates 25 years. After 9,746 games and 25,769 goals involving 47 teams, the league is currently at the peak of its game. The landscape, however was very different when it started a quarter century back.
Let’s look at 10 interesting facts about the premier league since its inception.
1. Two premier league players, Bobby Zamora and Obafemi Martins have scored premier league penalties with both feet.
2. Rayan Giggs has been substituted more times than any other player (134 to be precise)
3. Wayne Rooney, Garath Bale and Kevin Davis are the only players to score, assist and score an own goal in a single match. Bale also received a yellow card in the same match.
4. Manchester United has never lost a premier league match at old Trafford if they are leading by half time.
5. Alan Sherar has missed the most number of penalties (11).
He has also scored the maximum penalties (56).
6. James Milner is the only player to score in 47 different premier league matches and the team has not lost any of them.
7. Cesar Azpilicueta, Wes Morgan, John Terry and Gary Pallister are the only players to play every minute for a league title season.
8. Peter Couch has scored more headers (50) than 16 of the teams that have played in the premier league.
9. Terry Corner is the only coach to take charge of a premier league team for more than 10 matches and not win any.
10. Only two players have ever scored a hat-trick of headers in a premier league match. Duncan Ferguson for Everton and Salomon Rondon for West Brom.
Bet you didn’t know that!