Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite popularly known as Kaká is one of the finest footballers in the history of the game. But what came in as a sad news to many fans, former AC Milan and Real Madrid midfielder Kaká announced on Sunday that he is retiring from football. The devout 35-year old Brazilian wrote on Twitter: "It was much more than I could ever imagine. Thank you! I’m now ready for the next journey. In Jesus name. Amen. Kaká retirement also meant that the iconic 2002 Brazilian team will now only be remembered through history books.
Throughout his career, Kaká demonstrated beautiful football and his skills with the ball always left the fans and opponents in awe. As the legend retires, here are ten things about the Brazilian that will surely make you nostalgic.
1. Kaka chose football over tennis at the age of 15 when he signed his first professional contract with Sao Paulo FC in 1984
2. He represented Brazil 118 times and scored 58 goals
3. He joined AC Milan in 2003 and won the Serie A title along with the UEFA Champions League.
4. He became the youngest ambassador of the UN World Food Programme in 2004 at the age of 22.
5. In the year 2007, he was honoured with the FIFA World Player of the Year and FIFA Ballon d'Or award.
6. He was part of the Time's 100 lists of the world's most influential people in 2008 and 2009.
7. Kaka signed for Real Madrid in the summer of 2009 for 65 million Euros.
8. Kaka is the first sportsperson to garner 10 million followers on Twitter.
9. He is married to his childhood love, Caroline Celico, who is a former singer and the daughter of businesswoman Rosangela Lyra, Ambassador of Dior, in Brazil.
10. The finest goal he scored in his entire career was against Argentina at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium during an exhibition game staged by Kentaro back in 2006, when he dribbled around almost the entire team.Read More